Monday 25 June 2012

Every year, we get a small swarm (if that's the right way to describe it) of Nemophora degeerella moths in our woodland. What I find interesting is that every year for the last three years, they appear in exactly the same 5 metre square patch of woodland and nowhere else in the garden. Because of their habit of perching on top of the tallest plants, they are very frustrating to try to photograph - the slightest breeze blows them all over the place making focusing very difficult. It's taken me the last two days and I don't know how many shots to get this one. This is actually the same shot, cropped twice - once to show the very ridiculous antennae and then to show the wing pattern, which is hard to appreciate in the wild.

Next challenge will be to try to catch them doing their flight dance! I'm just not sure if it would be possible even. I may have to resort to film, just wish I could afford a high speed camera for it.




1 comment: