Friday 10 August 2012

Penrhyn Bay Macros and Micros (my first go) - Aug 10th

Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
Lime-speck Pug
Magpie Moth
Northern Eggar
Torticidae sp? Help appreciated
Enarmonia formosana - Cherry bark tortix?
Carcina quercana
Lesser Waterboatman

A good night in the moth traps last night with a number of new ones for the garden in Penrhyn Bay. Northern Eggar, Magpie Moth and Lesser broad-bordered Yellow Underwings were all new here and were amongst a haul of Macros that included Swallowtail, Least Yellow Underwing, Lesser and Large Yellow Underwings, Triple-spotted Clay, Lime-speck Pug, Cabbage Moth, Dark Arches, Flame shoulder and Common Footman.

I got the new micro book for my birdthday - what a nightmare they are! Hats off to Ben and Julian for the regular i.d's on this site! I spent over an hour trying to identify a few with frustratingly a few flying off as I tried to photograph them. I had a Light brown apple moth (same type as Julian's in the last post), a Carcina quercana, what I think is a Enarmonia formosana - Cherry bark Tortix and one that I photographed above that I just can't place.

Strangely, I had a water boatman in the trap - amazing to think that these things make their way at night from water to water!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've got the book now Marc, you'll be doing id for us in a bit! Think you're right on the two you've named, in fact Enarmonia formosana would only be fourth VC49 record so I'd let CR know. Can't put a name to other I'm afraid. Never had waterboatmen - and I've got a garden pond!

    ReplyDelete